Working out and eating clean go hand in hand. I have found that when I start working out on a regular basis I want to choose healthier foods. Same goes for when I am eating cleaner and in healthy portion sizes I have more energy to workout. Here are my tips to losing body fat while staying healthy. I have included two types of training: Pole Fitness and Weight Training as both are very popular and have equally shaped me into who I am today.
Remember how great working out /pole dancing makes you feel. Often I may want to skip a pole fitness workout or weight training workout but I know that after about 10 minutes I am glad to be there along with everyone else who have made the same choice that day. I make the most of my hour and before I know it I feel like a champion.
Always include resistance training as part of your workout program. What burns calories? The TRUTH is that strength training is the FASTEST way to boost your metabolism and create an efficient system of burning fat. Countless studies suggest that strength training can boost your metabolism up to 30% after working out. Simply stated, after the workout, your body continues to burn calories. The more muscle you have the more calories you will burn. Aim for three strength training, alongside your pole fitness program.
Change up your strength training program every 6-8 weeks. They body is constantly aiming to be comfortable, which is what you don't want. Keep your body guessing by changing up your workout program. Changing your workout program (weight training) can be done by:
- Reducing your Tempo. Speed kills your exercise program! Moving through a set at too great a speed can generate tremendous strain on your joints and connective tissue, and is self-defeating. Slow down!
- Reduced Rest. Shorter rest between sets also translates into greater intensity, especially as it relates to building endurance. Longer rest between sets allows the muscles to recover more completely, and consequently work at a higher resistance level. If you work with 30 seconds or less between sets, you're Circuit Training.
- Increased Volume. Adjusting the total number of sets performed per exercise is another way to vary overall intensity. Intensity adds up, so that one very intense set can deliver as much as two or three moderately intense efforts. The more intensely you train, the less you need to do. If you don't want to crank up intensity, add another set or two.
- Increased Resistance. And last but not least, increase the amount of weight lifted. This can be done from set to set, from workout to workout, or both. Track how much weight lifted, and how many reps performed on every set. If possible, make jumps in increments of five to ten percent. (Women 2 - 5 %)
- Time Off. Take two – four weeks off from weight training and try something completely different such as pole dancing, biking, hiking, running, swimming, tennis, power yoga, boot camp, Pilates, or cross fit. Your body will enjoy the change and so will your mind. When you return to the gym, you will have a new appreciation for weight training.
Do 20 - 45 min of cardio before your first meal. This will not only set the pace for the day giving you extra energy, your metabolism will be boosted. Doing cardio before eating is common amongst people who are preparing for a physique contest. Many claim that without their morning cardio 2 - 5 days a week they simply don't get as lean. note: one scoop of protein powder mixed with water is acceptable if you need to consume food. Start with 20 min and add 2 min each day till you are at your time goal...
Sleep 7 - 9 hours each night. Scientists have found that sleep deprivation increases levels of a hunger hormone and decreases levels of a hormone that makes you feel full. The effects may lead to overeating and weight gain.
Consume a meal every 2.5 - 3.5 hrs. Eating meals that contain slow burning carbohydrates, lean proteins, and healthy fatty acids 4 - 6 times a day will be a major key in your quest for fat loss. Eating often will:
- Keep your blood sugar levels in an optimal range.
- Will supply your brain readily available fuel.
- Will help you to burn a few more calories.
- Helps to reduce your portions.
- Helps to reduce starvation eating.
Drink a gallon (4 liters) of water a day. Breaking down body fat and body muscle during weight loss produces wastes that must be eliminated through the kidneys. Drinking enough water is important to keep the kidneys functioning to remove these wastes. note: have water with you at all times. (Do you like lemons? Add fresh lemon to your water. Not only are lemons a detoxifier, they will alkalize your blood and your body will thank you.)
Look at the big picture when aiming to lose body fat. There will always be another meal, but there may not be another life. Life is a gift, cherish it.